What Is Microneedling?
Simply stated, microneedling uses very fine, short needles to create tiny puncture wounds in the top layer of the skin. These micro-injuries stimulate a natural healing response in the body, increasing collagen production to create firmer, smoother, more youthful-looking skin. This means your own body begins to repair itself, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles and repairing acne scars, trauma scars, and stretch marks. In addition, new capillaries are formed, creating increased nutrient rich blood flow to the treated area.
The injury to the dermis is fractional—only a small percentage is affected, which has been shown to lead to faster healing and an improved risk profile when compared to treating the entire dermis. There is no heat produced, as a laser would, so the risks of pigmentation issues are very low. For maximum benefits, a series of about 6 are recommended.
Advanced microneedling devices like Fractora use radiofrequency energy to jumpstart the healing process and further promote new collagen growth.
Professional micro-needling is considered to be one of the safest skin treatment procedures since it causes minimal damage to the skin.
How Is Microneedling Performed?
This quick, minimally-invasive procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. First, A topical numbing cream will be applied for 15-20 minutes prior to your microneedling in Virginia Beach. A small handheld dermal micro-needling device is then applied by gently passing it over the skin several times. Treatment time will vary between 15-60 minutes, depending on size of the treatment area.
Microneedling increases the skin’s absorption of products exponentially. After the tiny puncture wounds are created, a customized combination of serums exclusive to Kaado MD, hyaluronic acid, or platelet-rich plasma (PRP) are applied to the skin. These substances are many times more beneficial when used in conjunction with a microneedling treatment. Studies have shown that these topicals can penetrate 50x better immediately after the treatment.
Areas To Be Treated
Microneedling can treat a wide variety of areas on the body such as face, neck, chest, breasts, abdomen, thighs, knees, elbows, arms, stretch marks, and cellulite.
What are benefits of microneedling?
- Improves skin laxity, fine lines especially around the eyes and deeper wrinkles
- Reduces acne scars
- Softens stretch marks
- Evens skin tone
- Lightens hyperpigmentation and sun spots
- Reduces the appearance of enlarged pores
- Firms and smooths skin texture
- Improves scars, particularly acne and surgical scars
- Reduces broken capillaries and spider veins
- Brings back the glow for fresher, younger-looking skin
- Chemical peels will have better penetration and become more aggressive if Dermapen precedes placement of the peel.
The advantages of in-office microneedling over a dermal roller include:
- The penetrations are perpendicular to the skin so there is no tearing of the skin.
- The perpendicular penetrations are linear and more precise than the roller that creates a wedge defect in the skin.
- Depth of penetration can be changed for the different areas of the face.
- The microneedles are much thinner than the dermal roller
- Many more penetrations are performed in a Dermapen treatment
- Able to treat areas where rolling is difficult or not possible – around the nose and eyes
Downtime: Overall, microneedling is very well tolerated with minimal downtime of one day or less. Dr. Kaado will provide specific post care instructions during your appointment.
Most common side effects: Some possible side effects include dryness, scaling, redness and swelling (similar to a sunburn) after treatment. This may last for several days or longer, depending on the aggressiveness of your treatment.
Will I need repeated treatments?
Dr. Kaado invites all his patients to schedule check-ups after their treatments to review results and discuss any questions or concerns. Usually microneedling requires three treatments set about four to six weeks apart. After the initial set of treatments, a once-yearly maintenance appointment is all you need.
Some conditions like deep wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks, and acne scars may need 6-8 treatments. Remember that every person is unique. Dr. Kaado will determine your personal needs at your follow-up appointment.
Microneedling with other services
Traditional microneedling can be combined with additional services for even better results, such as with PRP, peels, and skin boosters.
Microneedling with PRP
Also known as the Bloody Mary Facial at Kaado MD
Microneedling with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a fast, effective, non-surgical treatment for a range of skin issues, including:
- Skin laxity
- Sun damage
- Large pores
- Uneven skin texture
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Stretch marks
- Fine lines and wrinkles
When Platelet Rich Plasma, or PRP, is applied after microneedling, the effects are exponential. This is because plasma contains high concentration of platelets, stem cells, and growth factors, all which help your tissue heal and grow new cells. PRP is nothing new to orthopedic medicine, dentistry, and reconstructive surgery, but now its applications have been discovered to be beneficial in the field of aesthetic medicine as well. And since PRP is produced by your own body, any negative side effects are practically null.
When you first come into the office, we will draw a small amount of your blood and spin it in a centrifuge to separate the plasma rich in platelets from the red and white blood cells. Platelets are the cells that cause clotting and release growth factors – substances required to stimulate growth in living cells.
After the tiny micro-channels are created using a microneedling device, PRP extracted from your own blood is applied to the treatment areas. Growth factors in the PRP further stimulate the natural healing process and collagen creation.
Other Uses for PRP
PRP can also be used for rejuvenating other parts of the body.
PRP can be injected directly into your scalp to help regrow hair in areas where it may be thinning. Multiple treatments are necessary for thicker hair growth.
Many women use PRP to improve their sex life. PRP can be injected directly into the G-spot or the clitoris to enhance feeling in these areas.
Microneedling with Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a substance occurring naturally in the skin that attracts water and adds softness and fullness. Unfortunately, our bodies produce less of this vital substance as we grow older. Lower levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin can reduce volume and structure and cause wrinkles and folds to become more pronounced.
In a microneedling procedure with hyaluronic acid, this naturally rejuvenating substance is applied directly to the tiny micro-wounds created in the microneedling process. This allows for far greater absorption of hyaluronic acid into the skin layers, providing the benefits of collagen induction therapy and hyaluronic acid treatment in the same procedure.
Results: You’ll notice a radiance to your skin immediately after your session, which will continue to progress over the next few weeks. Optimum results are visible within six months, as your body generates new collagen.
Recovery and Side Effects: Dr. Kaado prides himself in delivering arguably one of the safest treatments of microneedling Virginia Beach has to offer. With his expertise in microneedling, recovery is quick, with only one to three days of mild redness, depending on the aggressiveness of the treatment.
The skin will be red and flushed, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn, for 12 hours to 3 days. You may also experience mild swelling, tightness, and/or mild peeling. Side effects are temporary and typically resolve within 3 days. Total healing time depends on the depth of the treatment, skin type, and skin condition, and some patients may heal completely in 24 hours. To learn more, contact us today and schedule a consultation.
Reasons to Have Microneedling
Microneedling is a tried-and-true cosmetic treatment that has been in use for many years. Advances in medical technology, including the use of radiofrequency energy, platelet-rich plasma, and hyaluronic acid, have made this form of collagen induction therapy even more effective for treating aging skin and a variety of skin issues.
Dr. Kaado performs microneedling in Virginia Beach, VA for women and men who want to:
- Boost collagen production: By creating hundreds of micro-injuries, microneedling basically tricks the body into a natural healing response that includes increased production of collagen and elastin for firmer, plumper, smoother, tighter skin.
- Reduce hyperpigmentation: Microneedling is an effective treatment to reduce the appearance of discoloration caused by age spots, acne scars, or surgical scars. This procedure stimulates cell metabolism and breaks down pigmentation, which the body disposes of naturally through the lymphatic system.
- Fade stretch marks: Pregnancy or significant weight loss can leave unsightly stretch marks on the abdomen and other areas of the body. Microneedling can help reduce the appearance of stretch marks by stimulating collagen production.
Additional Skin Booster Options
When you come in for your microneedling session, you can choose to add on some of these "boosters" below:
- Depigmentation solution (whitening action, correcting pigmentation irregularities, and antioxidant)
- Mesotox solution (acts on lines reducing the existing ones and preventing the appearance of new ones)
- Mesopeptide solution (enhances redensification of the dermis, improving firmness and the structure of the cell matrix)
- Lipolytic solution (acts on multiple enzymes and receptors of lipolysis to reduce the size and number of adipocytes)
- Body firming solution (provides a skin trophic, firming and stimulating effect of connective fibers synthesis. Best for the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, breasts and arms)
- Hair loss solution (provides a protective and stimulating effect on the hair follicles that act on the different agents causing hair loss)
- Artichoke extract (draining and detoxifying effect)
- Caffeine (lipolytic action)
- L Carnitine (metabolization of fatty acids)
- Silicon (regulates cell metabolism)
- Mesostabyl (stimulation of lipid degradation)
- Dexpanthenol (treatment of alopecia)
- Vitamin C (antioxidant, brightening action)
- DMAE (tightening and firming effect)
- Cosmeretin (anti-aging effect)
- Biotin (revitalizing effect, hair loss)
- Gingko biloba (vasoprotective, anti-inflammatory effect)
- Hyaluronic acid (moisturizing, anti-aging effect)
- Bioflash NCTC-109 (biorevitalisation)
- X-DNA (antioxidant and biorevitalisation)
- Glutathione (normalizer of skin tone)
What are the benefits of using microneedling vs. laser treatments?
Microneedling is an effective treatment for many skin issues that laser treatments target such as acne scarring, fine lines, and wrinkles. Microneedling involves a much shorter recovery period, with healing occurring in just a few days, with minimal side effects. You should only experience slightly reddened skin that feels like you have a light sunburn. Both treatments boost collagen production by stimulating skin turnover, but microneedling is a gentler treatment.
Laser treatments can successfully target pigmentation problems such as spider veins or melasma. Microneedling stimulates an overall skin regeneration and was not developed to resolve pigmentation issues.
What can I expect after treatment?
You can expect to feel a sensation of tightness and heat in your skin as it recovers, much like a sunburn. As the skin heals and generates new tissue, you’ll start to see subtle changes in skin texture and health, and a reduction in the appearance of acne scarring and fine lines as the quantity of collagen in your skin is increased.
Does it hurt?
Your microneedling procedure will not be painful, and at Dr. Kaado’s Virginia Beach private clinic, you can be confident that your comfort is a priority. Professional microneedling is a custom procedure with the needling performed at varying depths, depending upon the area being treated. To make the procedure comfortable, a topical numbing cream is applied prior to treatment.
What should I avoid after treatment?
After treatment, avoid blood thinners such as aspirin or blood thinning supplements. Also avoid anti-inflammatory medications. This will maximize the skin’s ability to heal and assist the body’s natural healing process for the regrowth of fresh, healthy, skin tissue. These should be avoided for minimally three days after treatment. Avoid sun exposure during the healing process. Dr. Kaado can advise you about the most effective moisturizer with sunscreen to apply so that you gain the greatest benefit from your procedure.
* $75 consultation fees for butt augmentation, bodytite, qwo, vaser liposuction and high definition liposuction.
If patient decides to go ahead with the treatment, that $75 will be credited towards the procedure.